I intended to give these out to our Couples’ Discipleship Group for Valentines. Unfortunately, I was sick with the flu so we didn’t attend the fellowship yesterday.
Anyway, I want to warn you, this is a little messy to make. The dough is sticky and can stain your hands red if you’re not using gloves. A simple trick can make a big difference: dust your palms with confectioner’s sugar or flour to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands while rolling it into a ball.
You can make it in 3 different ways depending on what you feel like doing: Red Velvet Cookies, Red Velvet Crinkles or Red Velvet Cookie Sandwiches.
These will seem undercooked and soft, but that’s what we want to achieve.
Red Velvet Cookies/Crinkles
- 115g Butter, unsalted, softened
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 150g Brown Sugar
- 200g All Purpose Flour
- 25g Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Egg, large
- 2 Tbsp Yogurt or Whole Milk
- 1½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1½ tsp Red Food Coloring Gel
- Confectioner’s Sugar, as needed ***Optional***
- 80g White/Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 100g – 150g Nuts (your choice), roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cream butter and sugars for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Combine the egg, yogurt or milk, vanilla extract and red food gel together and pour it into the batter. Mix until well incorporated.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Mix on low speed for 30 seconds, then turn the speed up to medium/high speed for another 30 – 45 seconds.
- Add the chocolate chips or nuts, if using. Mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Let the dough rest and set for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Measure the dough into 20-22 gram clumps. Then roll into balls.
- CRINKLES: Drench the rolled dough balls in confectioner’s sugar.
- Place in a cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand in the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing and cool completely in a rack.
- CRINKLES: Sift more confectioner’s sugar over the cookies if needed.
- COOKIE SANDWICHES: Spread Basic Cream Cheese Frosting on one cookie and sandwich with another. Enjoy!