I’ve been reading Sweet Sugar Belle‘s blog for quite some time now. I have been admiring her cookie creations and thinking if I could make similar ones. I am artistic, but not good in drawing, let alone “drawing” using royal icing!
Today I decided I will at least try. I wouldn’t learn unless I do, right?
I have read this Basic Sugar Cookie recipe for more than a dozen times. It seemed easy enough. I checked, double checked and triple checked the procedure so I would get it right. I have even came across other sites that were making sugar cookies also, watched their videos and read comments. I think I was more than prepared for this experiment!
COOKIE DOUGH: Making the dough was pretty easy enough. The instructions were very detailed and I think good instincts kicked in. However, I had a semi-hard time rolling the dough out because parts of the dough got stuck on my rolling pin. Adding a bit of flour at a time usually gets the trick done. Now that that’s done, my next problem is cutting the dough with the shapes I wanted. Since it was soft (not refrigerated nor frozen at this time) it got stuck to my cookie cutters or gets broken when transferred to the baking sheet. This is when I decided to freeze the rolled out dough. I have watched another video about this (sorry, I can’t remember the video/site where I saw this) but she freezes her rolled out dough and it’s easier to cut – pops right out! Once I have done that: easy peasy! ;)
COOKIE STAMPS: I also got to use the cookie stamps I bought in Hong Kong (Read: Hong Kong Steals). These were cool to use! It’s not a very common practice her in Manila so I think I had an advantage! Hahaha The only hard part was that the tiles (letters) were a bit loose so I had to improvise and use masking tapes to secure the tiles.
BAKING: I don’t usually follow baking times on recipes. It’s part instinct and part common sense. I have a reliable
oven, but weather is still a factor I have to consider. It’s very humid where I am, so I had to adjust. I timed the first batch of cookies I baked and it was for 15 minutes — double the time as what’s indicated in the recipe. I turn the cookie sheet halfway through the baking time. Only a few cookies were “over baked” meaning it has browned more than it should. So it was still a success! I wouldn’t say it was perfect, but I got the results I wanted.
I was so relieved and happy that my first try on these cookies had a good outcome. I shared the cookies (stamped with “FRIENDS”) to my friends in school and they loved it! The flavoring was just right, they said. By the way, I used Almond + Vanilla Butter. This was something I have never tried before, but it works!
My next goal is to ice the plain cookies I reserved. I will be posting that soon! Crossing my fingers for a good outcome, too!